In the modern world, where the ability to keep your data safe is vital, preventing hackers from violating our virtual privacy is almost as important as preventing a thief from sneaking into our house and taking everything they like in there.
That is why we would like to remind you of some essential tips when it comes to internet protection. They can be quite useful for keeping your data protected in this digital age.
1. Do not open all attachments that are sent to you by email
They could be viruses and steal your information (passwords, photos, text files) or damage your computer.
2. Close the sessions of your accounts whenever you finish using them
You never know who will have access to the devices on which you browse.
3. Change your passwords frequently and activate the verification of two or more steps
Keeping the same password for a long time can make the job easier for information thieves. Besides, using two forms of identification will allow you to know very quickly if there is someone who wants to access your accounts without authorization.
4. It is not a good idea to use your birthday as the password on any of your accounts
You should not use the name of your wife, your favorite program, breed of your pet, or place of birth. These are the things that are surely proof of forgetfulness, but they are also data that too many people can find out.
5. Use the HTTPS protocol whenever it’s possible
This way, you will encrypt your browsing and make it more difficult for hackers to obtain your information. Also, you can buy cheap Kaspersky Internet Security on websites like bzfuture.com and increase the protection of your data.
6. Beware of Facebook profiles that seem fake or that you don’t know personally
Accept only people you trust.
7. Keep all the programs or applications you use up to date
Some malware can exploit vulnerabilities present in previous versions to steal or change your information.
8. Be suspicious of the promotions and special offers that the network offers you
In many cases, the forms that you must complete to get them are only decoys to capture your most important information; keep in mind that not everything that glitters is gold.
9. Make backups
You are never secure from losing data, either due to theft, technical failures, or physical damage to any of the devices you use. Therefore, keeping backups on other devices or in the cloud can save us a lot of pain upside down.
10. Think twice before publishing anything on the network
We often rush to share information that we later regret. Hence, think twice before updating your social networks or the sites that you frequently visit on the internet.
11. Use protection against ransomware
As you know, ransomware has become one of the most spread security threats. Cybercriminals encrypt the victim’s files, and in return, ask for a financial ransom.
Most antiviruses do not offer real protection against this problem. One of the drawbacks is that the common sense of users comes into play here.
You have to be careful with the downloads, especially the EXE files, that arrive via mail or keep the systems updated. But the most important thing is to create backups frequently.
12. Use strong passwords and managers
Passwords are essential elements for your protection. However, many people use insecure ones.
Ideally, that key should be quite complex. That means that it contains letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and other characters. You could also have password managers, which is also one of the tips to navigate safely.
13. Use updated browsers and systems
That is also very important. It is useless to have a good antivirus and other security tools if you then use an obsolete browser or an outdated system. That can cause conflicts and endanger security due to possible vulnerabilities.
Therefore, to navigate safely, we must have our systems updated regularly. That applies to the browser and any program we use.
14. Protect your router
Another essential aspect. Many users believe that simply changing the router password, or even keeping the factory password, is sufficient. However, there are several aspects that we must take into account.
15. Beware of phishing
That is another of the most critical problems in recent times. Cybercriminals use phishing to attack victims and gain their credentials and passwords. It usually comes in the form of a fraudulent link that is sent to you by email or social media. You must ignore the message that informs you that you urgently have to change the password or that they need our data.
16. Safely browse on public networks
When browsing public networks, security must be increased. You must avoid accessing pages that do not use the HTTPS protocol, as well as avoid accessing bank accounts and other sensitive sites.
If necessary, a good option is to use a VPN so that your data is encrypted so that you can navigate safely.
And last but not least, use an antivirus, it is necessary.
Many lies are being published on the internet. Fake Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram profiles, blogs with fraudulent information, emails with viruses looking to attack computers, and hundreds of other threats can be found and dropped with just a click. Yes, although it seems exaggerated, a single click can leave us exposed and vulnerable to an internet attack.
Surfing the net can make us victims of sexting, cyberbullying, grooming, stalking, and so on. Shat do you have to do to stay safe on the internet?
- Don’t share intimate videos or images with your social network contacts, on websites, or by email. If someone asks you for this type of content, immediately notify your parents to take the necessary measures.
- Do not give your password to your friends and acquaintances. You should only share it with your parents.
- Your personal information is precious, and that is why you do not publish it on the internet, nor do you let anyone find out about it.
- If you need to buy a product online, before taking any action, you should speak to your parents for advice.
- An adult should supervise all the programs that you download.
- Do not accept strangers on your social networks, and if you make any contacts of that kind, you should never meet alone with that person.
- If you are not old enough to access a social network, you should refrain from creating an account there until you are old enough to register. That way, you will protect yourself from things that you will not be able to control.
There are many threats on the internet, but by being careful, you will be able to navigate in complete safety.