Are you looking for a dish to surprise your family? Gnocchi is a delicious and easy to cook Italian dish that will make your dinner a success. In this article, you will find different recipes to prepare this delicious dish.
You will learn how to prepare different types of gnocchi, each one with its own unique flavor. With these recipes, you will be able to prepare a delicious and nutritious dinner that your family will love.
So if you are still wondering what is gnocchi made of, keep on reading.
Let’s get to know what this special pasta is
Gnocchi are a type of Italian dumplings made of cooked potatoes, flour, egg, and sometimes cheese. They look like small ovals or crescents and have a soft, fluffy texture on the inside. The word gnocchi comes from the Italian word nocchio, which means “knot in wood.”
They are usually boiled in salted water, then served with a variety of sauces such as pesto, tomato, or cream. They can also be served with vegetables, meats, or cheese. It can be made from a variety of ingredients, such as semolina, ricotta, and root vegetables, but potatoes remain the most popular choice.
A quite popular pasta in Europe and in the US
Gnocchi is a popular pasta dish served in many countries of Europe and in the US. Depending on the region, the recipe for gnocchi varies. However, the most popular version is the Italian one.
In Italy, it is typically served with a tomato sauce and some Parmesan cheese on top. However, in France, gnocchi is served as a side dish and can be made with different ingredients such as chestnuts or spinach. In addition, in the US, gnocchi is usually served as a main dish and can be served with a variety of sauces.
This pasta can be found in many different forms. There are fresh, frozen gnocchi, and even packaged. Each type has its own unique flavor and texture. The variations of gnocchi are endless and can be found in almost any country in the world. It is a delicious and easy to make dish that can be enjoyed by everyone. It is also a great way to use up leftovers and make a tasty meal.
The secret is in the dough
This Italian dumpling is soft and fluffy inside and crispy outside. The traditional recipe is made with potatoes, wheat flour and eggs, but you can use any combination of ingredients that you like. Here’s how to make the perfect gnocchi dough:
- Start by boiling the potatoes and mashing them to make a puree. Then, mix the mashed potatoes with the flour. The proportions should be two parts potatoes to one part flour. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add one egg for every two potatoes and mix until a dough forms.
- When the dough is ready, take a portion and form a long, thin rope. Cut the ropes into small pieces, about 1 cm in size. At this point, you can either leave the gnocchi as is, or shape them into traditional ridged gnocchi.
- To shape the gnocchi, roll each piece against the tines of a fork. This will create ridges on one side, and a slight indentation on the other. These ridges help the gnocchi hold onto the sauce better.
- 2 cups of spinach.
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese.
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1 egg.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- 1/2 cup of flour.
- Blend the spinach in a food processor until it is finely chopped.
- Mix the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the spinach and mix until everything is well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and mix until the dough is firm and not sticky.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into small balls.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the gnocchi are cooked through.
- Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.
Some sauces you can have gnocchi with
- Tomato Sauce: sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, add some diced tomatoes, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then you can add some basil, oregano, and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. You can also add some grated cheese for a richer sauce.
- Cheese Sauce: melt the cheese with the cream in a saucepan and add some garlic, nutmeg, and pepper. Then you can add some cooked gnocchi and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Basil Sauce: blend some fresh basil leaves with olive oil, garlic, and salt. Then you can add some cooked gnocchi and simmer for a few minutes. You can also add some grated cheese for an extra flavor.
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- Fresh basil leaves
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water for about half of the time indicated on the package; drain well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce and mozzarella cubes; stir in cooked gnocchi until everything is evenly mixed together.Transfer everything into an oven-safe dish or skillet and bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.Remove from oven Top with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Gnocchi with Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions, until they float to the surface. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm the pesto. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften. Drain the gnocchi and add them to the skillet with the pesto and tomatoes. Toss everything together until well coated. Serve hot, topped with Parmesan cheese.