Findlay is a city set within Hancock County, serving as the county seat. It is a fast-growing city in Northwest Ohio, steadily growing and modernizing. The Greater Findlay Area comprises the city metro area where most of the shops, business offices and headquarters, and various establishments congregate. During the War of 1812, Fort Findlay was built to protect the area; it was named after Col. James Findlay.
The fort was significant to the area so that when a settlement was built, it picked the name of Findlay. With the discovery of oil in the area, Findlay became a busy center for the production of oil and natural gas during the 1800s. However, the supplies soon dwindled in the early 20th century, but some oil companies still operate to this day.
• The city of Findlay occupies a total area of 17.3 sq mi (44.8 km2), with only about 0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2) comprised of water bodies.
• It was in 1821 that a settlement was created in the area though there had been a fort there in as early as 1812.
• The village was laid out by Elnathan Cory, Joseph Vance, and William Neill.
• In as early as 1887, the village was already incorporated as the city of Findlay.
• The city of Findlay is the very first place in the world to use the touch-tone telephone service in the early 1960s. Although the service was soon distributed to other areas, the city did enjoy the distinction that for 3 months, it is the only city where the service was used.
Best Hotel Accommodations
Findlay is a good place to visit because there are plenty of hotel accommodations that offer the best rooms for travelers to be able to rest well. As suggested by Reservations.com, Drury Inn & Suites Findlay is among the top hotels in the area, consistently rated by travelers as the best, with a restaurant on-site plus internet and cable TV provider in the rooms.
Exploring the City
As a fairly large city, and still growing, there are plenty of activities that Findlay can offer to its residents and guests. Exploring the city is among the top activities to enjoy in this place. Get the car ready, hop on, and check out the sights of the city. Aboard a car, it is much easier to cover more space than if using bicycles or even walking. Also, hiking is not a very good option if one wants to explore as much of the city as possible.
When to Visit
The best time to visit Findlay is during months when there are festivals in the city. This is often during the summer months. ArtWalk encompasses the spring, summer, and autumn months so that travelers will be able to enjoy great works of art put on display or sale. In June, residents and visitors will truly enjoy Boogie on Main as well as Riverside Wine Festival.
The best time to visit Findlay is, perhaps, in the middle of August, during the Findlay’s Hot Air Balloon Festival although it is expected that this is the peak season for travelers to visit the area. RibOff on Broadway is also enjoyed in August.