If you were lucky enough to be born with the 2C hair type, then you may know how tricky it can be at times to tame it. However, when you do manage to take control of your unruly locks, the result you end up with is truly amazing. Not sure what to begin with? Save your worries for another time. With the guide we have prepared for you, you will easily be able to take care of your tresses so that they look their absolute best.
What Are Hair Types And How Do You Describe 2C Hair?
2C hair is a wavy hair type that has a very defined S shape. But in short, there is a system grouping patterns of hair curls into four categories – straight, wavy, curly, and coily. It was suggested by the celebrity stylist Andre Walker and is widely recognized across the globe nowadays. Each category, in its turn, has subcategories. They are based on how loose or how tight the pattern is. The type 2C pattern usually starts at the top of your head and goes all the way down to the ends. Women with this hair type often struggle to make their hair look good, as they have to choose between straightening their locks and enhancing their texture. Not until you master the Curly Girl Method of washing hair.
How Does The Curly Girl Method Work?
So, what is the Curly Girl Method that has made so much stir in the beauty world lately? According to LoveHairStyles, this is the natural approach to washing your hair that allows you to achieve healthy, shiny, and defined locks without the frizz. All you need to do is to follow several simple yet effective steps and use SLS, silicone, and paraben-free products to nourish your tresses, thus ditching your regular shampoo. So that you would be able to achieve the best result possible, we will walk you through this hair washing routine step by step.
- Hop into the shower and damp your hair.
- Apply a generous amount of protein-infused hair conditioner and distribute it evenly using a comb with wide teeth.
- Leave it in for 5 mins and wash it off thoroughly afterward.
- Apply a co-wash product of your choice to your scalp and massage it for several minutes. Make sure it does not get to the end.
- Rinse your hair with water to completely remove the cowash.
- While still in the shower, spread a blob of a leave-in conditioner along with your locks with your fingers.
- Rinse the hair quickly under the running water but make sure most of the conditioner stays in.
- Dry yourself off with a towel, leaving your locks soaking wet.
- Repeat the procedure once or twice per week.
How To Style Your 2C Hair?
Now that you know how to wash 2C hair using the CG method, you also need to learn how to style it properly. As the result achieved with this hair care routine for curly girls can be easily ruined.
- Combine a tad of a curl-enhancing product and a multipurpose leave-in conditioner in your palms.
- Work in the mix into your strands one by one, twisting them all along the way.
- Hold your brush under cool running water until it is damp.
- Use the brush to spread the mix through your hair.
- To help your waves form, scrunch the hair several times slightly all around your head.
- Squeeze a tad of a curl enhancer into your palms, rub between them and use the product on your crown and tips of the hair, twisting them gently.
- Soak in excess water from the hair scrunching it with a T-shirt made of cotton.
- Scoop a sparing amount of a hair gel, rub between the palms (take care to wet them beforehand) and cover your tresses with it, twisting them yet again.
- Squeeze the remaining moisture by scrunching the locks and blow dry them using a hairdryer with a diffuser attachment till they are almost dry.
- Apply the hair gel once more with your hands wet, pressing the strands toward the head.
- Dry your hair completely using the blow dryer with the diffuser attachment or let it air dry.
- Flip your waves from one side to another several time. Repeat every five to ten minutes. Remember not to touch your hair while you are drying it.
- Time for the SOTC stage, which can be deciphered as scrunch out the crunch. You need to scrunch your locks to remove the gel cast from it, which has a crunchy feeling.
- Create volume near the roots from the front, using a comb with wide teeth or a rat tail comb.
How To Maintain And Refresh 2C Hair?
The styling technique described above works only when your hair has been just washed. To keep up the natural wavy texture of your hair between washes, you need to do the following:
- When sleeping, tie your locks in a loose bun on the head top and secure it with a scrunchie.
- If possible, sleep on a silk pillowcase.
- Pull out the scrunchie and simply let your hair fall in a natural way.
- In case your waves need refreshment, you can use a wet fresh method: wet your palms and scrunch the locks so that they are damp, apply a curl enhancer by twisting and smoothing your strands, follow up with a bit of a hair gel, and diffuse the waves with a hairdryer set to warm temperature.
- Incorporate protein treatment into your hair care routine.
- Keep your locks moisturized inside and out by drinking enough water and using appropriate hair products.
2C hair can look amazing when you know how to take care of it properly and use the right products. Just remember to steer clear of sulfates and follow the Curly Girl method when washing the locks. With these simple rules, your waves are guaranteed to be pronounced and glossy.