When it comes to keeping cryptocurrencies safe, one has to take severe steps. There is always a risk of them being stolen or cryptojacked. Therefore, it is necessary to have some knowledge about cryptojacking. If you don’t know anything about it, don’t worry. We have prepared this article to give you detailed information about this type of attack.
Cryptojacking is increasing rapidly because more and more people are getting interested in investing in bitcoins. With the rise in technology, it has become much easier for cybercriminals to attack your device. However, you can prevent them by various methods. We will also share some of the best techniques to get rid of these attacks. Sometimes, it is pretty challenging to identify if you have been cryptojacked or not. You can research it and find out how you can find it. It is essential to check your device from time to time to know about the problem at its initial stage.
The bitcoin trading world is growing day by day. The primary reason behind it is that anyone can start it with little money and earn massive profits. Also, many platforms and websites offer excellent trading services to users. One of the most reliable websites is bitcoinprimeapp.com. You won’t regret choosing it to start your trading journey.
What is Cryptojacking?
Cryptojacking is a type of cyberattack in which criminals get access to someone’s device to gain profits through mining. They can mine as many bitcoins as they want. Indeed, there is a limit to it, but the owner must face huge losses if the issue is not resolved.
You might already know that blockchain technology is used for mining digital coins. Miners add blocks to the blockchain to get cryptocurrencies in reward. The whole process is simple to learn, even for beginners.
Why has cryptojacking become common these days?
No one can deny the fact that this type of cyberattack has become common nowadays. The following points will tell you the reasons for the same-
- Huge demand for digital coins: The best thing about investing in virtual currencies is that anyone can do it. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or an expert. You can start by creating an account on an exchange or a digital wallet. Many people have begun investing in them to make more money. So, the number of miners has increased. Now cyber attackers can easily pick those who have not taken security measures.
- Lack of knowledge: Some people do not bother to understand the risks of cryptocurrencies before entering the market. This lack of knowledge becomes a significant reason for getting attacked by cybercriminals. If you want to keep your bitcoins safe, you have to make your device secured. There are various ways to prevent these attacks, but it is possible only when you are ready to learn them.
- New technology: As you know that blockchain technology is new, it needs some improvements, especially in security. The process of mining is pretty simple, but we cannot say that it is secure. In the future, it might be possible that all the risks involved in mining might get resolved.
How does cryptojacking work?
Cybercriminals target users’ devices by adding cryptojacking software in various ways. The two most common ways are as follows-
- Malicious link: They send a link to your email address. If you click on that, your crypto-mining code gets shared automatically. After this, your device will start mining digital coins secretly.
- Online advertisements: Sometimes, online ads are responsible for these cyberattacks. So, you have to be very careful while visiting any site loaded with ads.
When a cybercriminal uses both these methods, there is a high chance of getting good profits. You must know that whenever your device is cryptojacked, it doesn’t get harmed entirely. There might be some problems with your computer, such as overheating, slow performance, and more. These are also some of the warning signs that you should look for to identify any attack.
What are the warning signs of cryptojacking?
It is pretty easy to detect this type of cyberattack on your device. All you have to do is check for these things-
- Slow performance: Has your device’s performance slowed down recently? If yes, it is an indication of cryptojacking. This attack affects the computer’s system due to various reasons. Also, the battery will get drained quickly. Sometimes, people avoid checking their systems from time to time. You should not make this mistake, especially if you have spent your money on buying cryptocurrencies.
- Overheating issues: Heating problems become more prevalent after cryptojacking. Malicious malware might be the reason for these problems. You can check your computer’s temperature and analyze if it has increased in the past few days or not. It is essential to keep a record of the same. In this way, you will know the actual cause of overheating.
- Increased CPU usage: Apart from the installed software applications, you need to make sure whether your device’s CPU usage has increased or not. As your computer is mining digital coins without you knowing, it might increase the overall storage. You can quickly check it by opening the task manager on your system. Sometimes, it becomes challenging to find out which applications are using your CPU’s power.
- Electricity bills: When your computer starts cryptomining, a large amount of electricity is used. If you see a sudden increase in your electricity bill amount, it is proof that cybercriminals are using your computer to mine digital coins.
How to protect your computer from being cryptojacked?
As technology has improved, it has become easier to prevent this type of cyberattack.
- Use a good cybersecurity program: It is better to install good software to help detect these attacks.
- Learn about new trends: It is necessary to learn about the latest trends that cybercriminals use.
From the above information, we have concluded that cryptojacking has become more common nowadays. However, you can prevent it by taking various steps. We hope this article helped you in understanding the same.